Sunday 14 April 2013

Replacement of My Posts

Hello folks for some reason everything has been wiped from my blog(I think I hit the wrong button!!!) so I have tried to recreate it.  Just as well I kept a copy of the posts in MS Word.  Sorry to all those who have left comments.


The first post created 23 January 2013

I have decided to create this blog to document my travels around this great country of ours.  As I am new to “This Nomad Thing” I thought it appropriate to explain how it came to be that I am about to embark on this adventure.  Besides, the following events are a journey in themselves.
In 2006 I experienced one of those events that suddenly makes you realise that you are mortal and that there are more important things in life than chasing the $.

I had just turned 50 and completed a 50k bike ride with a mate to celebrate.  Within a month of this I was in the cardio thoracic unit of the RHH having a dilated aorta and heart valve replaced.  I had had no heart problems and the medical team could not believe that I had survived this long.  A genetic problem, later research revealed that the gene had been passed down by my mother to all her male off spring.  Two of my brothers were later diagnosed with similar conditions one requiring similar surgery.  Anyway to cut to the chase I found myself with three to four months of recovery and lots of time on my hands (BTW thank god for trauma insurance).
Needless to say such an event tends to focus ones attention on what is really important.  I was fortunate that I had very good and supportive friends around me.  I stuck to the recommended exercise recovery program and exceeded its requirements.  I spent a lot of time gardening.  Peter Cundell is right; gardening is great for your physical health and spiritual well-being.

I also spent a lot of time reading and discovered the principles of Voluntary Simplicity.  (http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com) .  To my surprise, I had already simplified my life quite a bit by getting rid of my house and hence my mortgage, no credit cards, no debts.  I had found a beautiful spot in the country in a 54sqm shed, I was running my own micro business in home renovation and maintenance, and things were good.  Then WHAM I get told that unless I have the surgery I am dead.  Keeping things simple was paramount to my recovery.
Anyway one thing led to another in my research on Voluntary Simplicity and I discovered the Aussies Living Simply web site (http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au) .  A great place to visit if you want to find out about simplifying your life and living sustainably which I figure most grey nomads do as part of the “on the road life style”  It was on this web site that I meet someone who lived overseas but had just bought a run-down house in the middle of Tassie.  This person wanted someone to help with the renos and I saw it as a way of easing myself back into work albeit on a part time semi-retired basis.

Travelling backwards and forwards on a 200k round trip was the only snag.  Luckily a friend had a caravan which she wasn’t using and I thought ah ha I will load my tools in my vehicle and tug the van to the site!  I did this about three or four times over the course of the next year for various stages of the renovation project.  It worked really well and I got a taste for caravan life combined with working on the road.
Next thing you know I am on the BayofEs and I’ve bought a 12 foot caravan from NSW!!!  Got it back to Tassie did a bit of work on it, did a few trips with it, mostly holiday type trips but it really didn’t suit the bill for travelling and working on the road.  I really didn’t feel comfortable towing it not only from a safety point of view but it just didn’t feel right.  Even at12 foot it was too big and heavy (older van) and the tow vehicle really wasn’t suitable for the job.

So ………I sold both the van and the tow vehicle and went back to working out what I really wanted to do on the road.  Mostly travelling with some work here and there to support the lifestyle with the option of four wheel driving if I wanted to.

First thing was to find a suitable vehicle.  My previous vehicle was a Hiace Commuter.  I had removed all the seats and fitted it out with racking for my tools etc.  I decided I would like to stay with a van type vehicle which I would convert to sleeping accommodation but it needed to be 4wd.  Nothing in Australia so I imported this from Japan.
                                        

Got the vehicle now what do I tow?  I wanted something that would allow me to store my tools but at the same time provide space for kitchen etc.  I toyed with the idea of converting a horse float.  They certainly have the head room but if I was going to tow something that big I may as well go back to a caravan.  Then one day I was going somewhere following a tradies trailer.  It was so obvious!  Here was the perfect solution.  So……………… I bought this 
                         and then the fun started.  I spent all last winter converting the trailer to this
 
and fitting out the interior of the Delica as a bedroom and on the road office and now I am ready to hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment